Monday, January 17, 2011

Queensland floods 2011




As you may have heard there is serious flooding here in Queensland. If you haven`t well then check it out it`s pretty darn bad. I spent half of my trip in Sydney trying to get updates on the situation in Brisbane. By the time Friday came around the airport (thankfully) was still open and I was able to make it back to Brisbane without any troubles. I arrived in Brissy only a few hours after the river crested and thankfully the water was a whole meter lower than predicted. We spent the day driving around and scoping out a street in Kenmore that needed some serious cleanup. Steve and I went out the next day (Saturday) to help with cleanup. We took the water semi and all the hoses. We left the house at 4:30am and got there by 5:30 am. Steve spent the first few hours hosing off the road to prevent anymore mud from being tracked into the homes, while I used a 5000 ppi pressure washer to clean out the bottom level of a home. The homes down that street are all two levels and they were only flooded one the first level. After I had cleaned out the home Steve disinfected it chlorine. We spent a major part of the afternoon hosing out the underbelly of a home right on the river. After a 12 hour day of non-stop work we had hosed out 3 homes, the road, and disinfected 4 homes.


The work was very difficult, but it was good to be a part of the clean up. I could really feel the Aussie spirit as volunteers came from all over to help, and people brought us sandwiches, treats, and drinks. Please keep the people of Queensland in your thoughts and prayers as they clean up and rebuild.

As for our home, it`s completely fine. Capalaba has been untouched which has been a real
blessing.


As an extra: my rav4 broke down today after delivering water hoses to the flooded Rocklea Markets so I spent my morning waiting for a tow truck to arrive. The badly damaged areas are overridden with traffic trying to get in and out with volunteers, trucks and supplies, therefore making the traffic jams insane.

1 comment:

  1. You're on assignment for MDS on the side, it would appear.

    ReplyDelete