Thursday, May 5, 2011

camping solo

Over the Easter holidays Ashleigh and Maddison headed off to their mother's leaving me with some free time. So I decided it would be great fun to do some camping, since I haven't done any at all during my time here. I asked around, but no one seemed to be free to join me. So off I went camping on my own.

For me this felt a bit odd since I am usually so social, but I've come to realize that I need to get used to doing things on my own. So a camping I went.

I decided on Lamington National Park since it was in the mountains and rain forest, it's a beautiful park that I'd encourage anyone to go to. Since I kept a journal while I was there I thought that I'd just write that as my blog post, here you are...

Day One:
After slithering slowly up the mountain through the usual Australian Eucalypt forest into the rain forest I managed to arrive at the Green Mountains. Once there I was helped by a most helpful ranger in his mid 60's name Steve. I had called the day before to see if I could make a reservation (since it was the busiest camping weekend of the year). They were all full, but Ranger Steve was so kind and let me stay in the sites reserved for The Great Walkers ( a walk across the park from Binna Burra to the Green Mountains which takes 2-3 days). I was so excited since it was a walk-in site therefore it was separate from all the other campers so I felt so immersed in the rain forest.

My first walk of the trip was short and sweet. Since there were no maps left (I was told to come get one later that night) I had to stick to the very well marked trails. So, I did a 1/4 of the West Canungra Creek Circuit (4 km, 13 km). The track was muddy as! Thankfully I brought my boots rather than my joggers.

As I got back it began to rain like mad! I quickly hopped into my car and read for about 10 mins, then thankfully it stopped. I made dinner (couscous and veggies) did the dishes, then ran into a group of young French people!

I had seen that a turkey had gotten into their garbage at their site, so as they were walking by I told them. They didn't quite understand so I asked where they were from and they answered France. Later that evening we had a lovely chat ever tea. Laurie and François are dating and have been traveling around Australia together for a few months and their friend Nicolas was visiting them for a couple weeks. They even shared one of their precious bottles of imported French wine.

After tea and wine I headed off to my tent which was nicely hidden in the bush. Thankfully I had my head torch! I wasn't even nervous like I thought I might be about being in the dark rainforest at night, which I was very proud of.

Day Two:

François, Laurie and Nicolas invited me to do a walk with them in the morning. I obviously accepted and we ended up doing two short walks: Python Rock, and Moran falls. The two trails were bot
h beautiful with spectacular views of the waterfall. Afterwards we had lunch together and then they left for their next destination (Sydney I believe). Oh no! I hear thunder!...

Thankfully the thunder was accompanied only by a very light drizzle. After my delicious meal of 2 minute noodles and an apple I quickly cleaned up my dishes and headed to a small chapel near the campground for their Good Friday service. I arrived about 10 minutes early and was promptly asked by the Priest if I could do the scripture reading. I agreed of course, I was honored, but it was odd since I was there in my extremely dirty smelly clothes. I did the reading of the passion from John alongside the Priest and a lovely Woman named Marilyn. the mass was lovely (I think about 15 people attended) and I had a great chat with Marilyn afterwards (It turns out she only lives 20 mins away from me).

When I returned to my campsite I went to greet my new rowdy young neighbours. They invited me to join them so we joked, laughed and ate together until I headed to bed around 9.

Added note:
As I was hiking alongside the Frenchies I suddenly noticed a massive amount of blood running from my knee down my leg. I was so confused since my leg was not hurt and I didn't remember cutting it on anything.

I had read earlier on that there were leeches at Lamington. Obviously I assumed that meant in the waterways (along with fresh water eels) since leeches are only in lakes and so on. Well apparently leeches are all over in the rain forest.

I ended up with a heap of the tiniest leeches ever all over the back of my knee and they were sucking me dry. I only had salt back at my tent so I bravely picked them off of my bloodstained knee. Then quickly ate a hand full of sultanas to regain my lost iron.

Day 3:

I didn't wake up until 7 today! What a long sleep!
After a quick breaky I did the box tree circuit track which was by far my favourite track! I took about a 30 minute brake once I got to the falls since I was able to sit on a rock in the midst of it. I sat there reading, it was so peaceful and beautiful!

After that track (roughly 13 km I reckon) I packed up my tent, ate some lunch and headed back to Capalaba. On my way though I stopped at the coolest little dragon fruit farm were I bought a couple of different types...yummmm! And also I stopped at an alpaca farm, unfortunetly you couldn't pet them. Darn!

Pictures to come tomorrow :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Em! Your life sounds like such fun! Wanna hear about mine??? Today I watched M. play soccer in a down jacket, with a blanket wrapped around me, and was FREEZING! Don't come back! We want you, we miss you, but for your own sake, don't do it!!!!!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete