Saturday, June 11, 2011

New Zealand! (full version)


As you may be aware, I recently spent 2 weeks in beautiful New Zealand! I must say that I wish it had been longer (although I hear from my group of friends who are still there that it is rather rainy). The trip to New Zealand was the perfect way to end my time working for the Harvey's since it just felt like I was going on vacation. I had many expectations and fears for my trip to New Zealand and nothing went as I had planned, although I reckon it was a good th
ing.
I got to the Brisbane airport early on May 20th and
I met up with my fellow Canadians with whom I hadn't hung out in months. We hopped on and off the plane and through customs without incident. The feeling of being in New Zealand was pure ecstasy! We met up with two other Canadians who had flown into Christchurch from
Canada, it was a great reunion for everyone.

On our trip we were absolutely blessed to have rental cars (and very reasonably priced ones!). Having our own 2 vehicles meant that the six of us could roam freely around the South Island. We left Christchurch that same day and headed North West to Arthur's Pass. One the second day after a short time driving we came across Castle Rock; beautiful limestone rock formations. There we lounged, climbed, caved, took photos etc..uth Island on whichever schedule/timetable we pleased.

Later that day we drove the rest of the way to Greymouth. We spent a few nights there while we spent our days exploring the little town, thrift shopping, grocery shopping, and we even
spent an entire day at the local pool (I reckon it was the be
st pool day in history!). On the 23rd we drove to the west coast near Franz Joseph Glacier. We stayed at the most amazing (nearly deserted) campsite. On one side all you could see was mountains, then on the other was the ocean! Regrettably our days spent in and around Franz Joseph were rainy and cold (typical for the area).
When it rained we began to ironically use the saying "It,s another beautiful day in Franz Joseph" . Thankfully most of t
he rain held off for our hike to the glacier itself on the 24th.



After a terrible stormy night in Franz Joseph we drove 5 hours to Cromwell. It had to be the most beautiful drive o
ne could ever experience, the scenery changed at every corner and it only got more and more beautiful. It was a shame I felt so sick (I caught a nasty cold). We found a campsite outside of Cromwell where we stayed two nights. We had to go to a proper campground since there has recently been a ban on freedom ca
mping and we didn't want to risk a fine. Thankfully no one else was there (it being the off season) so we had the run of the place. We also got the most bang
for our buck since we used their kitchen, toilet, and shower facilities, and who could forget their selection of DVDs to watch!
During our time in Cromwell we did some wine tasting, some shopping and even an olive oil tasting where we were asked to help with some picking. Of course we were all keen to help out so we spent the next morn
ing learning about and picking olives. It was a great experience and we were even paid, but
in oil of course!
We arrived in Queenstown on Friday night and we went straight to a camp spot which was located on a small lake in a beautiful valley. After setting up our tents we explored the area by climbing a smallmountain. The boys made it higher than I did, but I blame it on the cold I had at the time. :P That ev
ening we sat around a fire eating our dinner and talking to a lovely re
tired couple from Cypris. They cooked us sausages, toasts, and even some wine! On
top of that they invited us into their camper van the next morning where they served us eggs and tea.
The day was spent in Queenstown. Shopping, internet cafes, watching rugby in a lounge, and eating massive burgers at Queenstown's famous Fergburger. The picture here is off my burger called the Hollier Than Thou which was a vegetarian burger make with tempura tofu, tomatoes, salad, coconut coriander satay sauce. It was the best burger of my life!!! Check out their website and see all the burger options: http://www.fergburger.com

The next day we headed for Dunedin after a bit of grocery shopping. I must say that Dunedin was my favourite city in New Zealand. In Dunedin we found a corner shop that sold the best chips ever for only $2.50 for a big bag (and smothered in chicken salt!). We shopped around at a few opp shops (thrift stores), checked out the uni campus, saw some terrible live jazz, and found an awesome book shop. We also spent every evening at the coolest pub ever called Al Bar. It was so relaxed, we sipped tea and played cards and trivial pursuit. It was so nice to have a place to hang out that had such a nice atmosphere.

One day in Dunedin was spent on the Otago peninsula. It was the most glorious sunny day! We ran up and down sand dunes, watched seals up close as they battled, we explored old army tunnels, checked out the albatross cen
ter and had coffee at a small restaurant. It was so beautiful and I was so excited to see wild seals up close, although I mus
t admit I was a bit nervous since we were so close to them.


After Dunedin we drove towards Timaru where we found the most incredible FREE campsite. We drove onto some government land that is only used during shearing season (which it wasn't) and we camped there for two nights. At that sight we played card games, read books, climbed limestone walls, explored caves, and had massive bon fires. It was such a beautiful area and it was so good to hang out there and spend zero dollars, but enjoying ourselves immensely!

On Friday we drove two and a half hours to Christchurch where we stopped at a pool to relax and clean up a bit. Wow, did it ever feel good to shower! Not much was open in Christcurch it seemed so we spent lots of time loitering in McDonalds, KFC, and
Countdown (grocery store). We stayed up until 4am since we didn't want to sleep in the cramped cars and it was my last night. We took a walk into the city center where most of the damage from the last earthquake was. you couldn't even walk into the center since it was completely blocked off. I reckon the buildings are still very unstable. It was horrible seeing all the damage, but I couldn't have left Christchurch without checking it out.

Loitering in the Countdown parking lot with our mustaches.

The next morning I sadly hopped on the plane back to Brisbane. My two weeks in New Zealand were so amazing and I hope to go back again one say, hopefully to check out the north island.

No comments:

Post a Comment