Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dealing with homesickness

When it comes to missing Canada, friends and family I am most confused with how my mind deals with it all. The first few month here seemed to pass by so slowly, I felt the need to email, skype and write letters non-stop to people back home in order to stay sane. It felt so difficult to socialize with locals my own age, I think I just felt insecure. I had no idea how I would adapt from living in Winnipeg with heaps of friends to go out with and spend time with nearly every day of the week to going to a place where I knew absolutely no one. Thankfully Steve and Monique were so kind as to let me join them in every single family activity. They've always been sure to invite me to family events and include me in every outing. Without that I think I would have gone insane from boredom and lack of human contact. With their help and some self motivation I slowly began to make friends. It's so hard to tell when it happened, but over the past month or two I began to feel very connected to this community and my new found Aussie friends. It seems like I have now past the barrier of acquaintanceship and passed into real friendship. This has made me feel much more at ease and comfortable here. I no longer feel the need to constantly check my email and be on Skype every hour of the Canadian daytime. It's a wonderful freeing feeling not to have to live through conversations and emails regarding life back in Winnipeg, I feel like I have a life of my own now here and I couldn't be happier about it! Thank you so much to all who are thinking and praying for me, I appreciate it and need it so very much. Just because I'm feeling more comfortable here now doesn't mean you have to stop sending me mail and emails, I still love and appreciate them so very much! I love you all and I miss you! I'll see you on Canada Day (I will conveniently be arriving home on July 1st)!

No comments:

Post a Comment