Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Things here in Capalaba have become quite routine. Monday to Friday I take the children to and from school, I spend my days visiting with friends, Skyping with friends and family, cleaning, and whatever else ends up filling my time. Most evenings are spent helping with homework, dinner, and card games. A couple nights a week I sneak out early to go to bible study or visit with friends that live around the area. I have become so comfortable here that it's hard to believe I've only been here 4 months!

I have been praying for some sort of part time or casual job for the pasts 2 months and as of Sunday my prayers have been answered! I got word from one of my friend's in the area that there was a family he knew in need of a support worker for their teenage son. I sent them an email Sunday afternoon and by Sunday evening I was offered the job! Every Tuesday until I come back to Canada I will be driving to the north side of the city (about a 40 minute commute) to pick the young man up for his work experienc
e. I help him out with his office admin type work at a company called Mamre. This involves scanning, filing, etc... Then we go out for lunch (Macca's is his favourite so I'll need to be prepared to go every week). The timing couldn't be better either! It works out that I can fit in the shift perfectly between the children's school hours! This is such a Godsend and I couldn't be happier with how my first shift (last tuesday) went. I'm really looking forward to see what next wee
k will bring!
Driving over the Gateway Toll bridge is part of my commute.

Last week I discovered one of the Gold Coast's more beautiful beaches. I've been to all the popular ones: Surfer's Paradise and Main Beach. Last Friday though I got the opportunity to check out Burleigh Heads. WOW! The water was crystal clear, the sand was soft and white, and there was plenty of parkland around to picnic on. This is by far my favorite beach on the Gold Coast...for now.
I nearly forgot! Last week Steve and Monique came home and sent the girls and I to the local park to see a Koala in one of the trees. We spent about 10 minutes searching the trees for the koala, when suddenly it ran out on one tree and onto the next. This is the first wild koala I have seen while here in Australia, so I was quite excited!

Pretty cute isn't he?

1 comment:

  1. And for the Canadian translation... by Macca's she means McDonald's :)

    ReplyDelete