Sunday, March 6, 2011

Visit with Mama and Papa


I am terribly bad at writing regularly, therefore I apologize to anyone who is disappointed by that. Since I can't say that I will begin to post things more often I will simply try to make this post extra good! Here goes nothing...

My parents arrived safe and sound in Brisbane exactly one week ago and consequently I have a an absolutely wonderful week! Reuniting with them after nearly 4 months was more emotional than I had expected, I realized just how much I missed them. They got off the plane and as soon as we began our drive home I started to blabber/talk/explain and generally just carry on about where to go what to see and funny Aussie lingo, laws, etc...

Steve and the rest of my au pair family were more than happy to have mom and dad stay with us thankfully. So... I've lost my room and have been demoted to sleeping on a foam mattress in the office. Of course I don't mind though, it's a small price to pay to have my parents right here with me for 2 weeks.

The night they arrived I brought them to church where I found myself doing the same thing that my parents have done to me all of my life: I showed them off.
Throughout my life there have always been times where I feel like my parents are introducing me as their daughter and making sure I meet everyone because they are so proud of me. Now that I have them here I feel the opposite:Now I'm the one saying: ''Hey! Come meet my parents! They've come all the way from Canada! Aren't they just great????!!!''

After a few days of having my parents around I began to see why I do what I do around the kids. I'm definitely my parents daughter. Everything I do with the kids here is based on what I've learnt from my parents. Whether its discipline, talking, playing, or having a song for everything. It's just amazing, and I've never realized it until now when I see them with the kids.

Well, we haven't sat around doing nothing all week, we have been quite busy:

I've shown my parents around Capalaba, they've seen all my favorite shops, the girls' school, my church...I guess that,s about it for Capalaba haha.

We've had sorbet at Cleavland Point, shopped at one of the nearby Westfield malls, wine tasted at Sirromet, watched the dolphin show at Sea World (twice), and finally we spent this past (very rainy) weekend at the Gold Coast, followed by a great no-fuss dinner after church today.

As nice as it is to have mom and dad here I know when they leave in a week it will be hard to see them go. Being away from the ones you love really makes you appreciate what they do for you and what that relationship means to you. So my encouragement to everyone is that they don't take time spent with family for granted. Every little bit counts, enjoy it even if it's difficult to sometimes.

Here's some pictures from their trip so far...







1 comment:

  1. awesome post! Been waiting for this one :) Miss you all so much!! Love the pics and wishing I was there with. Keep showing them a great Auzing time and can't wait to see you my love. Miss you and Love you. xox say HI for us!

    ReplyDelete