Thursday, February 17, 2011

12 weeks


I can hardly believe that I have been here for 12 weeks! Yikes! It seems like I have been here forever, while at the same time it feels like I just got here. Even after 12 weeks I still am upset that because of the time change I lost nearly an entire day of my life! I guess I'll get it back when I return to Canada.

Thus far my time in Australia has been such a learning experience for me. I have learned what seems like a new language with all of Australia's many abbreviations and odd words. I have learned how to drive on the left side of the road. I have learned to cook Thai food (reasonably) well. I have learned to scuba dive, how to take a train rather than buses, I have learned I have good sea legs, but mostly I have learned that no matter where you are people aren't very different.

It's so interesting how people from so far away can be so similar. Earlier on this morning I had the pleasure of going for coffee with a lovely young lady from the local Presbyterian church. we chatted about life, books, coffee, traveling, and much more. I was blown away by how both of us were on such similar journeys in life and how we were both struggling with the exact same dilemma. I found such solace in talking to her about struggles that we shared when I thought I was the sole person I knew working through it. It was such a comfort and joy to have found someone to relate to and share with.

Day to day life here seems so trivial sometimes, but when I step back I see just how content I am with it. The simplest things are what I enjoy most: Driving
the girls to school and listening to the daily prank call on the radio. Sitting in the hot Aussie heat to read a book and getting so boiling hot that I have no choice but to jump into the pool. Sitting down and watching the morning news (Sunrise) with my
cup of green tea.

When I made the decision to come to Australia I thought that through my time here I would understand my path in life. I thought that once I was here I would have the answers to post secondary education, to what career I would pursue, to my future family life, pretty much I thought I would grow up, mature and become the Emilie I was meant to be. I guess I was too naive to realize that Australia isn't magical, I definitely haven't received any answers yet. If anything I am more unsure and confused, but I think
I like it that way. My mind changes on a daily basis, and it keeps things interesting, I seem to be looking up different career options every week (this week's is Natural Medicine in case you were wondering). None really ever seem to stick, but maybe one day something will, I'll just wait and see, I still feel like I have heaps of time.

This post may not be as exciting as the others, but I figured a select few of you readers may want to hear things other than my Aussie adventures. For those who are only interested in my adventures here are some pictures of this past weekend's deep sea fishing trip:








No comments:

Post a Comment