Saturday, December 18, 2010

the first 2 weeks


First of all I must comment on the weather here. It`s been pretty rainy overall and everyone here is quite upset about it. I of course am not disappointed at all. I get to wear shorts in December, so I really can`t complain.

For those who have not yet heard from me...
All is going quite well. The family has been very welcoming and I am getting along great with them. Maddison and Ashleigh are ten years old and currently on summer/Christmas holidays. This means that we have spent many days at local theme parks (Movie World, Wet N Wild, and Sea World). The girls are great at finding their way around, thanks goodness since when I first got here I had no idea who to get around (I`d like to say that after two weeks I can now successfully drive to and from a multitude of places in the area).

The girls are currently at their mother`s, giving me some free time this week. So I`ve taken advantage of this time to do a bit of local sight seeing and to meet people.
I spent Wednesday morning and afternoon playing in the waves on the main beach on the Gold Coast, I also got to lounge in my new found friend`s (and a few of her girlfriends) apartment overlooking the beach.

Thursday got a chance to see a small show at Ric`s bar in The Valley (a hip part of Brisbane). After I attended an American themed dinner where we had burgers, chicken wings, yac sick, and biscuits and gravy. The yac sick looked exactly how it sounds, but at least it tasted better. I have been informed that the next theme dinner will be Canadian in honor of me.

I spent the day exploring Mount Cootha and the botanical gardens near by. At the top of Mount Cootha I experienced a beautiful panorama of Brisbane and it`s suburbs. I got terribly lost on the drive home, but it ended up being great since I then found this great 2nd hand Oggie`s style shop. I only hope that I`ll be able to find it again next time.

That`s my life down under so far...

3 comments:

  1. you are far too cute :) Love the blog! SO happy you went with one. I'll be checking ;)
    xoxo
    e

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember how I told to do a blog? And you were like, "Nah... I'll just send mass emails." But who's awesome now? Me. Well, and you, cause you're in Australia...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea. I just finished reading your mass email and the photos opened huge. One was of your elbow?? or knee? Either way, this is good! Sounds like you're having a good time!

    ReplyDelete